We may receive commissions when you buy through the links on our site. Full Disclaimer.
Are you planning a backyard camping get-together for your family? Do you feel that it might be boring? Have you run out of ideas for your backyard camping?
If any of these applies to you, you need not worry anymore. We are here to help you out. We’ll be showing you 12 backyard camping ideas that are fun and easy to implement.
1. Have a camping tent in your backyard
What’s a camping event without a tent? Your backyard camping event shouldn’t be that different from a regular camping trip. A camping tent makes it more memorable.
Bring out your tent. Set it up with the rest of your family and have fun in the outdoors. You can place yoga mats, blankets, and other items on the floor to make the tent more comfortable and easier to sleep in.
Buy a large camping tent that can accommodate every member of the family comfortably. Decorate the tent nicely to make it homelier and unique. You can deck it out with as many things as you want since everything you need is right at home with you.
If you don’t have a camping tent, you can make a temporary one by stringing and draping old sheets over trees and fence posts. You can then set up tarps and picnic blankets on the ground under the sheets. You can also rent a tent.
2. Have a backyard campfire
The campfire is one of the essential elements of a camping trip. You do not have to head to a campsite before having a campfire. You can have one right in your backyard.
You can also build a fire pit in your backyard for more safety.
3. Cook camping food over a campfire
What’s the fun of eating regular food at a backyard camping event? Treat your family to delicious, tasty camping meals cooked with a campfire. Check out our articles on camping meals, have fun cooking, and eat these meals with your family in your backyard.
4. Have a treasure hunt in your backyard
Treasure hunts are easier and safer to organize in your backyard than at a regular campsite. You don’t need to worry about wild animals, kids getting lost, itchy bug bites, difficult trails, strangers, and other mishaps.
You can organize a fun treasure hunt right at your backyard complete, with rewards, hints, traps, reroutes, and other things. Take your time to organize the hunt and make it a success.
You can also organize a scavenger hunt where you have your kids hunt for flowers, trees, rocks, insects, or any other natural outdoor items. Give them bags to collect each item.
5. Play outdoor sports game in your backyard
Organize sports like tennis, badminton, frisbee, croquet, ring toss, camping bingo, lanyard keychain weaving, hide-and-seek, and others in your backyard. These sports will instill a sense of competition in everyone, and you will have fun with each other.
You can also bring out a card or board game. Teach the young ones how to play too, and you’ll see how fast time flies in your backyard.
6. Have string lights in your backyard
Hang colored string lights in your backyard to add a special, magical touch and effect to your backyard camping event. Everywhere will look so nice, and you will fall in love with the outdoors.
You can hang the string lights on poles and also on the inside of your backyard camping tent. You can also place fancy lanterns and lamps around your backyard instead of string lights.
- 【Higher Quality and Lower Costs】- 100ft Extra-long outdoor string lights are equipped with our upgrade heavy-duty wires and 52 shatterproof edison...
- 【Weatherproof and Safer】- With our weatherproof technology, these durable outside string lights can withstand rain, wind, snow, and extreme...
- 【Classic Bistro Ambience】- These vintage string lights come with st38 tear-drop E12 bulbs which could provide a nice, soft yellow glow without...
- 😊【Waterproof & Shatterproof, Safe For Use】With fully sealed and waterproof design socket, The outdoor string lights can stay under the sun,...
- 😊【Dimmable & Connectable & Easy installation】Our outdoor globe light strings are dimmer compatible, you can customize or change the atmosphere...
- 😊【Energy-Saving, Say Goodbye To Expensive Energy Bills 】These outdoor g40 globe led string lights are included 50 clear G40 Bulbs and 2 spare...
7. Tell stories to each other.
Gather inside the tent or around the backyard fire and have fun telling each other stories. The stories could range from children’s fairy tales to spooky ghost tales.
8. Sing songs in the backyard
Gather around and sing songs with each other at the campsite. If anyone plays a musical instrument, they can bring the musical instrument along with them to the campsite.
You could even bring out a portable speaker for some sing-along karaoke.
9. Watch a movie together outdoors.
Set up an outdoor projector, prepare a bowl of popcorn, bring out your favorite drinks, and have fun watching a family-friendly movie together.
You can project the movie onto a white bedsheet or any other suitable surface. You can spread out blankets on the grass and arrange pillows on the blankets for more comfort.
10. Have a cookout grill
There is nothing like a sumptuous outdoor cookout grill with family and friends. Organize one during your backyard camping event with meals that family members will love.
11. Set up a portable camping bathtub in your backyard
A portable camping bathtub could serve as a place for everyone to cool down, relax, and unwind from the heat and stress of the day. Get one and fill it up with water in the evening. Watch everyone have a swell time with it.
- ☀[Heat Water Faster] Immersion water heater has upgraded the internal heating element, with good thermal conductivity porous design, heating more...
- ★ [High Quality ] Portable water heater housing is made of 304 stainless steel and fireproof fiber material, can effectively prevent the internal...
- ★ [Easy to Operate] The water heater is easy to use. Fill the container with water, then immerse the electric water heater completely, connect it to...
- Instant Immersion Water Heater: submersible electric heater runs on a more powerful and energy-saving motor. It will boil 5 gallon of the water in...
- High quality and safety:With ABS outer and anti-rust stainless steel guard to effectively prevent the heating element is in direct contact with the...
- Warning: The heater needs to be completely immersed in water in working condition. It takes about 2 hours to heat 25 gallons of water from 0 °F to...
12. Study the night stars
Stargazing is an awesome, relaxing, family-friendly backyard camping idea. Get out your stargazing charts or download a mobile version from your app store. The charts will help you identify whatever you can see.
If you have a telescope, you can bring it out for everyone to share. If you don’t have a telescope or binoculars, it’s still alright. You can still stargaze with the naked eyes, and you’ll still have tons of fun.
With the ideas listed in this article, you can turn your backyard into a personal campsite. You’ll have so much fun with your family, and you might even forget that you are right at the back of your home.
Backyard camping will also save you the stress of booking and heading to a campsite, dealing with the outdoors’ dangers, and packing and unpacking. You’ll also save money and time. If anything goes wrong or you feel like leaving, your home is just right there with you.
If you don’t have a backyard, you can have a small tent right in your living room or your basement. Nothing should stop you from having your camping fun.