We may receive commissions when you buy through the links on our site. Full Disclaimer.
Are you planning a backyard camping get-together for your family? Do you feel that it might be boring? Have you run out of ideas for your backyard camping?
If any of these applies to you, you need not worry anymore. We are here to help you out. We’ll be showing you 12 backyard camping ideas that are fun and easy to implement.
- 1. Have a camping tent in your backyard
- 2. Have a backyard campfire
- 3. Cook camping food over a campfire
- 4. Have a treasure hunt in your backyard
- 5. Play outdoor sports game in your backyard
- 6. Have string lights in your backyard
- 7. Tell stories to each other.
- 8. Sing songs in the backyard
- 9. Watch a movie together outdoors.
- 10. Have a cookout grill
- 11. Set up a portable camping bathtub in your backyard
- 12. Study the night stars
1. Have a camping tent in your backyard
What’s a camping event without a tent? Your backyard camping event shouldn’t be that different from a regular camping trip. A camping tent makes it more memorable.
Bring out your tent. Set it up with the rest of your family and have fun in the outdoors. You can place yoga mats, blankets, and other items on the floor to make the tent more comfortable and easier to sleep in.
Buy a large camping tent that can accommodate every member of the family comfortably. Decorate the tent nicely to make it homelier and unique. You can deck it out with as many things as you want since everything you need is right at home with you.
If you don’t have a camping tent, you can make a temporary one by stringing and draping old sheets over trees and fence posts. You can then set up tarps and picnic blankets on the ground under the sheets. You can also rent a tent.
2. Have a backyard campfire
The campfire is one of the essential elements of a camping trip. You do not have to head to a campsite before having a campfire. You can have one right in your backyard.
You can also build a fire pit in your backyard for more safety.
3. Cook camping food over a campfire
What’s the fun of eating regular food at a backyard camping event? Treat your family to delicious, tasty camping meals cooked with a campfire. Check out our articles on camping meals, have fun cooking, and eat these meals with your family in your backyard.
4. Have a treasure hunt in your backyard
Treasure hunts are easier and safer to organize in your backyard than at a regular campsite. You don’t need to worry about wild animals, kids getting lost, itchy bug bites, difficult trails, strangers, and other mishaps.
You can organize a fun treasure hunt right at your backyard complete, with rewards, hints, traps, reroutes, and other things. Take your time to organize the hunt and make it a success.
You can also organize a scavenger hunt where you have your kids hunt for flowers, trees, rocks, insects, or any other natural outdoor items. Give them bags to collect each item.
5. Play outdoor sports game in your backyard
Organize sports like tennis, badminton, frisbee, croquet, ring toss, camping bingo, lanyard keychain weaving, hide-and-seek, and others in your backyard. These sports will instill a sense of competition in everyone, and you will have fun with each other.
You can also bring out a card or board game. Teach the young ones how to play too, and you’ll see how fast time flies in your backyard.
6. Have string lights in your backyard
Hang colored string lights in your backyard to add a special, magical touch and effect to your backyard camping event. Everywhere will look so nice, and you will fall in love with the outdoors.
You can hang the string lights on poles and also on the inside of your backyard camping tent. You can also place fancy lanterns and lamps around your backyard instead of string lights.
- 【Great Outdoor String Lights with Energy-Saving and Long-Lasting LED Bulbs】: In order to help you create the same ambience but with less energy and longer lifetime, Lakumu provides you with commercial grade LED string lights, which will beautify the night of your world and create comfortable and great ambience that you need indeed. It can be used at your party, backyard, garden, restaurant, bar, patio and so the like. It’s bound to surprise and satisfy you as long as you possess it.
- 【Weatherproof & Shatterproof Make It Safe to Use Outdoors】: The bulbs are plastic material, which makes them safer than glass bulbs to use. And the industrial grade weatherproof technology ensures you can use them no matter what the weather is, including rainy day, windy day, snowy day, sunny day, and even frozen day. What’s more, these lights are waterproof with IP 65 and have withstood winds blowing at 50 MPH. All of these qualities enhance its outdoor applicability.
- 【Linkable & Dimmable Characteristics Broaden Its Applications】：Do you worry that 48ft isn’t long enough to decorate your space? Take it easy, our string lights are end-to end connection, and they can be linkable up to 35 packs. Besides, the lights will be compatible with dimmer, so you can adjust the brightness gradually to create the atmosphere for special occasions. Nice tip: Dimmer is NOT included in the package.
- 【48FT 2 Pack 15 E26 Sockets 3 Spare Bulbs】: 2 packs 48ft string lights with 15 E26 sockets are approved for residential and commercial lighting and they never get hot even after being on for hours. Although parallel circuit means one burnt bulb has no effect on the rest, and we didn’t received this problem review for the last several months, we provide you with 3 spare bulbs for 2 packs. (NOTE Please - Made for use with 110v.)
- 【Super Easy To Install】: The dimmable patio lights are very easy to assemble, it only takes you several minutes to screw 15 bulbs for each pack porch hanging lights, 30 ones in total. The hooks for each socket can be used to fix the heavy duty lights better on your walls, fences, poles or some places else. (💝Warm tips: please screw every bulbs tightly enough in order to avoid such issue that effect the whole pack working).
- Dimmable and energy saving indoor outdoor lights: G40 home decor lights come with 25 clear g40 bulbs and 2 spare replacement bulbs. 1.56 inch light bulbs have e12 or c7 candelabra socket base, 5w per bulb,very perfect for garden patio outdoor decor and apartment decor
- Connectable and portable lights for bedroom: This room decor lights come with 6 inch lead with male plug, 12 inch spacing between bulbs, 6 inch tail with female connector.End to end connect up to 3 strands. Lightweight and portable size for easy carrying storage and decorations, suitable as both lighting and decorative bedroom lights
- Safe and durable string lights outdoor: UL certified porch lights outdoor lighting string is built with weatherproof technology, which can withstand extreme temperatures, rain, wind, and damp climates, perfect as deck yard balcony and garden lights.Electric hanging rope backyard lights and deck lights also come with a built in spare fuse for easy replacement
- Practical and easy to install clear bulb string lights indoor: This vintage decorative light string is very easy to install with a cable tie or cup hook(search suspension kit if you need the hanging accessory), fix it or place it anywhere as you need, thus also fit for classroom decor or used as bistro lights and bar lights.The g40 round bulb hanging lights is very flexible and practical, a light bulb that goes out does not affect other lighting bulbs
- Widely Used: These lights for outside and inside are the perfect decoration for balcony terrace, garden, bistro, pergola, gazebo, tent, barbecue, city roof, market, cafe, umbrella, dinner, wedding, birthday, pool, party etc. For bulbs replacement, please search B00R25V92Y
7. Tell stories to each other.
Gather inside the tent or around the backyard fire and have fun telling each other stories. The stories could range from children’s fairy tales to spooky ghost tales.
8. Sing songs in the backyard
Gather around and sing songs with each other at the campsite. If anyone plays a musical instrument, they can bring the musical instrument along with them to the campsite.
You could even bring out a portable speaker for some sing-along karaoke.
9. Watch a movie together outdoors.
Set up an outdoor projector, prepare a bowl of popcorn, bring out your favorite drinks, and have fun watching a family-friendly movie together.
You can project the movie onto a white bedsheet or any other suitable surface. You can spread out blankets on the grass and arrange pillows on the blankets for more comfort.
10. Have a cookout grill
There is nothing like a sumptuous outdoor cookout grill with family and friends. Organize one during your backyard camping event with meals that family members will love.
11. Set up a portable camping bathtub in your backyard
A portable camping bathtub could serve as a place for everyone to cool down, relax, and unwind from the heat and stress of the day. Get one and fill it up with water in the evening. Watch everyone have a swell time with it.
- Inflated bathtub size: Outer size: 160x120x60cm (63"x47"x23.6"), Inner size: 115x80x60cm (45"x31.5"x23.6"), Suit for one or two people or those within 200kg.
- Indoor and outdoor bathtub, equip with plug at the tub bottom, will come with water pipe for draining water. If you meet any quality problem, we welcome you try to contact the seller to solve it.
- Very important: the tub will come with electirc air pump, It takes 5~10 to inflating the tub, it is normal it become heat after 5~10 minutes working, please must turn off it, please must only turn on it again after it is cool.
- Material: Plastic, Thick and durable, Because of the thick plastic and fill air, water keeping warm around an hour.
- Suit for all members of the family, for mom having a body spa at home, for kids swimming pool, for dad soaking bathtub. If there is any problem after you received the tub, feel free to contact us, we will provide effective after service.
- A Versatile Tub Fit for Every Task -- This collapsible bathtub is perfect for baby, small dogs and cats bathing. It works perfectly as a washing tub especially when you go camping. It’s also a large laundry basket and storage organizer for the bathroom, bedroom and kitchen. This portable wash basin is a versatile tool for all your household tasks.
- Collapsible for Compact Storage -- The portable bath tub features a foldable design so that you can adjust the size as needed. Collapses easily for storage and takes up very little space. It can keep in the trunk of your car, convenient for camping, fishing or outdoor activities, etc.
- Light Weight & Sturdy Material -- The collapsible laundry basket is made of premium PP and TPR materials, it‘s no-smell and non-toxic which is durable enough to withstand normal wear and tear of use outdoors. The drainage plug allows the tub to drain easily without tilting it.
- Generously Sized -- Although this portable bathtub is designed to easily collapse and fold flat to save space, it is still generously sized measuring 23.6 x 15.7 x 10.8 inches when fully opened and just 2.7 inches high when folded down. This foldable bathtub is a great size for baby, small dogs and cats bathing.
- Versatile Storage Basket -- Our collapsible pet bath wash tub is versatile and can be used around the house for various other things. Keep our foldable bath tub around your home to organize and store various household items including children’s toys, towels, pet items, gardening accessories and more!
12. Study the night stars
Stargazing is an awesome, relaxing, family-friendly backyard camping idea. Get out your stargazing charts or download a mobile version from your app store. The charts will help you identify whatever you can see.
If you have a telescope, you can bring it out for everyone to share. If you don’t have a telescope or binoculars, it’s still alright. You can still stargaze with the naked eyes, and you’ll still have tons of fun.
With the ideas listed in this article, you can turn your backyard into a personal campsite. You’ll have so much fun with your family, and you might even forget that you are right at the back of your home.
Backyard camping will also save you the stress of booking and heading to a campsite, dealing with the outdoors’ dangers, and packing and unpacking. You’ll also save money and time. If anything goes wrong or you feel like leaving, your home is just right there with you.
If you don’t have a backyard, you can have a small tent right in your living room or your basement. Nothing should stop you from having your camping fun.